Things I Love
Louise Dirks is the owner of Western Canada’s leading emporium of covetable footwear, Gravity Pope. Since 1990, when she opened her original shoe shop in Edmonton, Dirks has added two locations (in Calgary and Vancouver) plus two clothing stores—there are 125
well-shod employees in her miniature empire, all told.
We go to her for Fluevog, for Marc Jacobs, for Paul Smith. And for something else, less tangible: good taste. This month we asked her to show us a few things that inspire her. gravitypope.com
10 Things I Love:
1. I hung the marcel wanders skygarden light in my bedroom.
2. Cacharel is my new favourite clothing brand. Love this cotton floral shift dress.
3. My most unexpected source of inspiration? A louis icart print I found at an antique mall in New York. His work combines fashion and art in a whimsical way.
4. The best gift I’ve received was a pair of joseph and mary statues from the Philippines (circa 1890).
5. My deglon sabatier knives are my favourite kitchen tool. Picked them up at the famous kitchen shop, Dehillerin, in Paris.
6. There’s always san pellegrino in my fridge. Also: sun-dried- tomato pesto and parmigiano-reggiano.
7. I love antipast socks. They’re designed in Japan and are the prettiest on the planet.
8. If I won the lottery I’d buy a scrap wood credenza by Piet Hein Eek.
9. I just bought myself a pair of church’s brogue ankle boots.
10. I send out-of-towners to corso 32 in Edmonton for locally sourced Italian.